Skip to main content

Heart warming Olympics 2012



It was seven years ago when Great Britain won the the chance to host the 2012 Olympic games- I remember being delighted- this delight faded the following day when the London bombings took place, and us Londoners were thrown into a dark period in time...

London has been an amazing place to be during the 2012 Olympics, and whilst the sun didn't shine too much over the summer, the people definitely did.
I had applied for tickets along side everyone else but didn't get anything....My daughter had a chance meeting on a London bus, with a complete stranger who was visiting from Ireland.
 She and her husband had managed to get tickets to the Olympic tennis at The all England club in Wimbledon-They arrived in London with other family members and were so excited to be part of the 2012 games, when tragedy struck and her husband suffered a heart attack whilst on the platform of a London underground station. Fortunately the station staff were amazing, and the family were well looked after, and the man in question was hospitalized ( and is now recovering well, back in Ireland).

This chance conversation on the bus resulted in me taking his tennis ticket-The wonderful elderly lady on the bus was going to the tennis alone  (at her husband insistence)....she offered the ticket to my daughter (who was in fact working at the tennis)...she called me and I swiftly rearranged my day and spent a fantastic afternoon with this delightful, kind woman. She has returned to Ireland and we have corresponded- this gesture is a perfect example of the London Olympic games.
I got to see one of my all time favourite tennis players Roger Federer which absolutely made my day.

The Paralympic have created a lot of excitement and how amazing that Martine Wright, a survivor of the London bombings who lost both legs in the 2005 attacks, made her debut in the Paralympics in the sitting volleyball  event, describing it as a "dream come true". Amazing!

My husband has been working in the medical team at the paralympics and says it has been one of the best experiences of his life-Everyone has a story to tell about how they came to be there...and the joy and pain is shared by all.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Neti pot

When I was training to be a yoga teacher, one of the 6 purification techniques taught to us was Jala Neti ( also called Neti or Jaaneti). Purification techniques are sometimes performed as a way of preparing the body for a yoga practice. Whenever the neti pots came out, I disappeared, always needing to be somewhere else at that moment in time… I had many techniques to avoid it: the bathroom, the water fountain, the shop, anything but the Net. Pouring a saline solution up my hooter was really not for me and I have avoided it right up to today. I have got a steaming cold and, as a result, I now have sinus pain, so I have decided to give it another go. Talk about waiting until your back is against the wall! I rushed to the Sivanada yoga studio nearby and bought myself a ceramic neti pot and salt. I had to follow the one photographic image as the instructions were in German!!! Although I did not find it as unpleasant as some people describe, it was not as bad as I remembered. So I will us

Sharath Jois in London 2013

Sharath Jois will be in London teaching a week of primary and intermediate ashtanga yoga From 25th-30th of August- in a central London location. Booking for this will open mid May. Through  http://www.astangayogalondon.com/index2.cfm A rare and wonderful treat to have Sharath in my home town-A big thank you to  Hamish Hendry  and ashtanga yoga London for organising this. Going to have to set an alarm on my phone- as there will be a lot of takers for this....

All about the balance

A snap from inside my fridge this week. The mix of wine, beer and Vita Coca sort of sums up my family really. The ones that drink wine and beer don't go in for the coco water, and the coco water drinker doesn't go in for wine or beer. In summary, none of us need worry about the other nicking all the drinks. :-)