Skip to main content

Lyme Regis

I have just returned from a wet and windy weekend in Lyme Regis. The reason for the trip was to celebrate Christmas with family, albeit somewhat prematurely, as we will not be able to get together over the festive period. This year, we will be spending Christmas in India (the tropical paradise of Goa to be precise), where I hope to practise lots of yoga and spend some quality time with my family. For one reason or another, this has almost been mission impossible this year.

But getting back to the subject at hand... For those of you who have never been to or never heard of Lyme Regis, it is located in western Dorset, (approximately 55 miles west of Bournemouth; 25 miles east of Exeter, in neighbouring Devon, and 25 miles south of Yeovil in Somerset), on the stretch of the English coastline known popularly as the Jurassic Coast. It has been given this name due to the amazing amount of prehistoric fossils that have been discovered in the area and which has led to it being declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The town has one of the oldest harbours in the country and is steeped in history. Tales of smugglers and secret passages are rife, and it is also the setting of several novels by Jane Austen. The author John Fowles used to write in his house that overlooks The Cobb (harbour) and one of his famous books, The French Lieutenant's Woman, which was subsequently made into a film starring Meryl Streep and Jeremy Irons, was set and shot on location in Lyme Regis and its surrounding under-cliffs. Fowles also penned The Magus; as well as one of my favourite scary books, The Collector; which I read when staying in a cottage in the town and which scared me half to death.

I was playing around with my new camera during the weekend, so here are a couple of pics of wintertime on the English seaside. I especially like the photo of the two elderly women enjoying their lunch on the seafront, despite the force 9 gale… Oh, so British! I would recommend visiting Lyme Regis during winter, as you can enjoy the peace and beauty of the place. It is like taking a step back in time!

The French Lieutenant's women

Lyme Regis harbour - known as The Cobb

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated. If you would like to leave a comment, you can do so below.

Popular posts from this blog

Neti pot

When I was training to be a yoga teacher, one of the 6 purification techniques taught to us was Jala Neti ( also called Neti or Jaaneti). Purification techniques are sometimes performed as a way of preparing the body for a yoga practice. Whenever the neti pots came out, I disappeared, always needing to be somewhere else at that moment in time… I had many techniques to avoid it: the bathroom, the water fountain, the shop, anything but the Net. Pouring a saline solution up my hooter was really not for me and I have avoided it right up to today. I have got a steaming cold and, as a result, I now have sinus pain, so I have decided to give it another go. Talk about waiting until your back is against the wall! I rushed to the Sivanada yoga studio nearby and bought myself a ceramic neti pot and salt. I had to follow the one photographic image as the instructions were in German!!! Although I did not find it as unpleasant as some people describe, it was not as bad as I remembered. So I will us

Sharath Jois in London 2013

Sharath Jois will be in London teaching a week of primary and intermediate ashtanga yoga From 25th-30th of August- in a central London location. Booking for this will open mid May. Through  http://www.astangayogalondon.com/index2.cfm A rare and wonderful treat to have Sharath in my home town-A big thank you to  Hamish Hendry  and ashtanga yoga London for organising this. Going to have to set an alarm on my phone- as there will be a lot of takers for this....

All about the balance

A snap from inside my fridge this week. The mix of wine, beer and Vita Coca sort of sums up my family really. The ones that drink wine and beer don't go in for the coco water, and the coco water drinker doesn't go in for wine or beer. In summary, none of us need worry about the other nicking all the drinks. :-)